Thursday 5 May 2016

REFLECTION




Name : Che Zhi Kang

Matrix Number: SIB150066


  At the beginning, I’m not planning to take this course for this semester. This is because Social Engagement was a course that needed us to do social work which was very troublesome. ( Haha, actually I’m just lazy ~) But what makes me to register for this course? I decided to register this course for this semester because I’m the only student who is from 2nd semester intake, so this would be the chance for me to know all my coursemate better. Before taking this course, I found difficulty to join the “gang” because they knew each other longer and their bonding were strong. So, I believed that by involving in Social Engagement, I could get closer to them.

  During preparation stage, I found out that Social Engagement was not only about doing social work. We have to do all the planning, proposals and a lot of paperwork have to be done before we started. Besides, we also having a lot of meeting to understand what’s going to happen during the program. All the stuff that needed in the camp also had to be bought by ourselves. We also had to attend a lot of workshop to practice all the dance we going to teach the students in MRSM, Pendang. Me, as a normal member, I don’t have to do all the paperwork, so by attending all the workshops and meetings was my responsibility.

  During the camp, I was one of the facilitator for group Horcux (such an epic name right? But they said this word don’t have any meaning haha). The students there were very active and willing to share their opinion. In this camp, I found out that my communication skill wasn’t good, because I felt difficult to speak in malay fluently, so sometimes I would mixed with English when speaking. Besides, their “slang” were a bit different with the malay we used to speak in KL, so sometimes it also took me few seconds to understand what they said. Anyway, I enjoy very much in this camp, especially during Grand Chase, I believed that they would learn to be a good person (although my job scope is to convince them to rob the bank).
  

  Through this camp, I learnt a lot of softskills that we couldn’t learn it from books such as social skills. There are big ships and small ships but the best ship of all is friendship. I’m really appreciated “Social Engagement”, because of this subject all of us were getting closer to each other, and I’m able to join into the group right now. This would also be one of my sweet memory in my university life.

  Social Engagement is not only about doing social work, it also taught us to work as a team. Without teamwork, we couldn’t host and run this camp smoothly and successfully. Lastly, I would like to thank University of Malaya by offering this course as a compulsory course for all t
he UMians.

No comments:

Post a Comment