Wednesday 4 May 2016

REFLECTIONS



Name: Shee Siew How (Secretary)
Matric No: SIB 150048


      As one of the secretaries of the project, I have learnt a lot of skills on documentations and the ways of dealing with the authorities. But, if I were to state the most valuable thing that I have gained from this project, it would definitely be ‘Friendship’. In campus life, we are often busy with our own respective activities and courses that we have very little time to interact among one another. Luckily, I was given the chance to mingle around with my coursemates and get to know each other better through this project. Speaking of the project itself, I’m pretty sure most of us would not join any related activities if it wasn’t because of the compulsory university course – Social Engagement.

      At first, my concept on this particular course was very shallow as I didn’t even know what should I do to fulfill the idea of ‘giving back to the society’. The plan of having a camp at MRSM Pendang was suggested by one of our coursemates and it was agreed by most of us as we could finish the whole thing in one-shot (ha.. lazy right? but this was just the original idea). As we started to plan out everything and sat down to discuss about what to do, we realised that organizing a camp was not as easy as what we thought. We had to plan everything by ourselves from A to Z and cooperate with one another in making this camp a success. Before the camp, we had a lot of workshops together in preparing the props and prizes for the camp, not to mention about the practices we had for cheers and dances. This has taught me an important lesson in to be commited in jobs and also becoming a ‘team player’ as it is the most important element in working together with the others.

     During the camp, I was paired up with Jia Wei to be the facilitators for a group. It was a memorable experience as it was my first attempt to become a facilitator. Things were not as difficult as I thought due to the ‘sporting’ attitude of the students from MRSM Pendang. They were very independent about what should be done and I just had to aid them from the side. We shared a lot of precious moments together and I was inspired by them to really put my heart into things that we venture into. I will never forget all the happy faces in the group as they were the ones who have made this camp a meaningful one. In the end, I have also shared with them my personal experience as a senior in the scientific fields in hope to aspire them to continue their persuasion in studies.


      Last but not least, I have changed my perspective on the need of ‘Social Engagement’. We, the university students, are actually the fortunate ones to be able to continue our studies until the tertiary level. This does not make us any superior than the others but should instead inspire us to contribute back what we have learnt to the society. This course helps to instill the idea of giving back and encourage students to volunteer themselves in helping the others. It is also a productive way to train students to be part of a bigger mission in our society. I sincerely hope that I would be given the chance to be involved in activities like this in the future. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment